Saturday, June 23, 2012

What's your connection to Nutley notables?

Vreeland House, Chestnut Street, Nutley, N.J. Photo by Anthony Buccino
The Vreeland House recently changed hands when the Womens' Club turned over the property to the township of Nutley. The town placed oversight of the 200+ year-old house in the hands of the Nutley Historical Society which will inventory the parts and parcel and frame the artifacts in the historical sense.

 In 1912 a group of Nutley women, members of the Woman's Public School Auxiliary, the Nutley Improvement Association, the Woman's Garden Club and the Housewife's League, interested themselves in the preservation of a house on Chestnut Street, Nutley, NJ --- now known as Vreeland House --- as an historical landmark.
Thus, after two preliminary meetings, which were held to consider the formation of one large club, on March 19, 1912, the Woman's Club of Nutley was organized. They were welcomed into the New Jersey State Federation of Woman's Clubs on May 18, 1912.Thus, after two preliminary meetings, which were held to consider the formation of one large club, on March 19, 1912, the Woman's Club of Nutley was organized. They were welcomed into the New Jersey State Federation of Woman's Clubs on May 18, 1912.